Start with using salicylic acid serum 1 to 2 times a week to avoid any potential side effects. Stick to serums with 0.5 to 2 percent salicylic acid concentration.
It is unjustifiable to call all acids “dangerous compounds”.
Many acids, when applied correctly, may have glorious effects on our skin. Facial acids are small concentrations of gentle organic acids that can combat acne, reduce hyperpigmentation, dark spots, wrinkles, and premature ageing, and help level out skin tone.
What is Salicylic Acid?
Let’s be a bit "scientific," because you should know what salicylic acid is before you start caking it all over your acne.
Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHAs)
and Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs)
are two different forms of chemical exfoliants that both softly remove the "glue" that holds your skin's dead cells intact, leaving you with glowing, smoother, and brighter skin.
Salicylic acid, a well-known compound for treating acne, clogged pores, and removing the outermost layer of the skin, is a beta-hydroxy acid (BHA). The serum contains humectants that keep the skin hydrated and nourished.
Importance of Salicylic Acid Serum on the Face
1. Exfoliates skin
Salicylic acid is said to be excellent for skin exfoliation. It breaks down dead skin cells and helps in improving skin texture and dullness.
2. Removes excess oil
Being an oil-soluble compound, salicylic acid seeps under the skin to remove excess oil and downsize oiliness.
3. Prevents blackheads and whiteheads
Salicylic acid not only cures breakouts that already exist, but it also actively addresses blackheads and whiteheads
to prevent them from returning to your skin surface again.
4.Deep Cleansing/Unclogs pores
Its oil-soluble element can enter the pores and expel the debris from blocked pores that cause external acne, such as zits, blackheads, and whiteheads.
How does Salicylic Acid Serum work on your Face?
For its intended purpose, salicylic acid works deep inside the skin. This trait is the reason why salicylic acid is such an effective substance.
- Salicylic acid speeds up the healing process by penetrating the skin and dissolving skin dirt that clogs pores.
- Salicylic acid has the potential to infiltrate your skin deeply and dissolve surplus grease and dead skin cells, exposing glowing skin as a result.
How to use Salicylic Acid Serum as the Best Skincare Practice in a Daily Routine?
Salicylic acid is used in a wide variety of skin care products, which makes sense given all of its favourable skin care qualities. This compound is found in most toners, cleansers, and masks.
Let’s figure out how to use it.
For salicylic acid to work wonders on your skin, you must first cleanse it and make sure that there is no makeup product residue on the skin.
Using Salicylic Acid Serum as an Exfoliant or a Chemical Peeling Solution
- Apply the serum after the cleansing step in your routine.
- You may use it around the eye area. However, do not apply it on the eyelid, and strictly avoid getting it in direct contact with your eyes.
- The frequency of exfoliation should totally depend on your skin type & also your skin’s familiarity with exfoliation. For example, people with dry skin shouldn’t use it more than twice a week, same for beginners.Gradually you can use it in your daily routine.
- Leave the serum on for 10 minutes on your face and wash it gently with cold water.
- Before you jump onto using it all over your skin, do a patch test first.
- It's also quite beneficial to use AHA or BHA to exfoliate from the neck down. Our 2% BHA exfoliant, in particular, minimises rough, red, and hard lumps on the legs and arms.
Using Salicylic Acid Serum as a Spot Treatment for Acne
- Cleanse your face with a mild face cleanser, then pat it dry.
- Do not apply any toner, moisturiser, or lotion. Instead, apply salicylic acid directly to the affected area.
- If you are using your hands to tap the serum into your skin, make sure your hands are clean.
- Leave the serum on for 10 minutes on your face and wash it gently with cold water.
- Use it up to two times a day for the best results.
Using Salicylic Acid Serum to treat enlarged pores
Read more: How Niacinamide & Salicylic acid control pores
How to Apply Salicylic Acid Serum on the Face?
- If you are using salicylic acid exfoliating serum wash it off after 10 minutes with cold water. Other salicylic acid serums can be used how any other serum is used. Apply only 2-3 drops of the serum on your face. Don’t forget to apply moisturizer after using the serum.
- If the patch test results in skin irritation, redness, or rashes, we strongly recommend you stop using it or use it under your dermatologist's prescription.
- Salicylic acid makes your skin more vulnerable to sunburns. Therefore, always apply sunscreen after using it or limit sun exposure.
How Many Doses of Salicylic Acid Can be Used on the Skin?
The majority of dermatologists recommend that the salicylic acid concentration be between 0.5% to 2%
to prevent over-drying your skin.
When Should Salicylic Acid be used on your Face?
Salicylic acid may be used morning and night but it is highly recommend to apply it at night. By doing this you are keeping the skin clean and dirt free whilst combating the spot causing bacteria. Here are some of the benefits of why you should include Salicylic acid in your skincare regime
1. To treat spots
If your skin is dry and breaking out, we would recommend you not to use salicylic acid all over your face. Instead, apply salicylic acid on the affected area (pimples and zits).
2. To treat acne-prone skin
If your skin is oily and acne-prone, you can’t use the salicylic acid serum daily on your face. Having acne-prone skin suggests clogged pores, blackheads, and whiteheads, so a face wash that contains salicylic acid is a must-have.
3. To treat enlarged pores so as to get smooth and glowing skin
AHA BHA exfoliating emulsion provides even-toned, smooth-textured skin by deeply exfoliating all skin layers and removing debris and dead skin cells. It inhibits sebum secretion hence reduces pore appearance.
Benefits of using Salicylic Acid on Skin
Anyone under their dermatologist’s prescription may use salicylic acid, but specifically, people who have acne-prone skin find it extremely helpful. It can help you in many ways:
- Loosening dead cells
- Penetrating deep into pores
- Clearing clogged pores
- Reducing secretion of sebum
- Reducing blemishes
- Helps in breaking down zits and pimples, and
- Reducing rashes and redness
What is the difference between an AHA and a BHA?
Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs)
are chemical exfoliants that are water-soluble and help to remove and replace dead skin cells. AHAs are extracted from sugar cane and other plant sources, and they increase the efficacy of many skincare products by eliminating extra debris, oil, and dead skin cells so that other treatments can better permeate the skin. The concentration, pH, and other components in the product all affect how much an AHA exfoliates the skin.
While BHAs enter deeply into your skin to dry up excess oils and eliminate dead skin, this results in balancing oil and soothing your skin. Although BHAs are best suited for oily skin types, people with sensitive skin can use them in lesser quantities to prevent irritation.
Are there any side effects or precautions to be aware of using Salicylic Acid?
An uncommon and potentially fatal allergic response can be brought on by several over-the-counter (OTC) acne treatments. Visit your doctor as soon as possible if you experience hives, itching, breathing difficulty, inflammation of eyes, face, or lips; tightness in the throat; or feel dizzy.
Unless otherwise prescribed by your dermatologist, avoid using any of the following products on the same area while using salicylic acid:
- Alcohol-containing preparations
- Any cosmetic soaps, lotions, or creams that dry the skin
- Any product that contains peeling agents
- Medicated cosmetics
FAQs on Usage of Salicylic Acid
1. Do you apply the salicylic acid serum before or after moisturizer?
As salicylic acid removes excess oil from your skin, it is recommended to apply moisturisers after using products that contain Salicylic Acid.
2. Can I use the salicylic acid serum every day?
No! Use it as prescribed by your dermatologist. If not, we would recommend you use it up to 2 times a week.
3. Does salicylic acid serum work on acne?
By clearing clogged pores, salicylic acid treats acne wonderfully. In order for dead skin cells to readily exfoliate from the pores, it breaks down the ties that hold oils like sebum.
4. Which skin type can use salicylic acid serum?
Although people with any kind of skin type may use salicylic acid, it works wonders on oily skin by penetrating deep into pores and removing excess oil and sebum.
5. Do you apply salicylic acid before or after sunscreen?
Salicylic acid makes your skin more vulnerable to sunburns. Therefore, always apply sunscreen after using it or limit sun exposure.
6. What should I apply after salicylic acid serum?
After using the salicylic serum, it is advised to cover your skin with moisturising agents like hyaluronic acid. It will provide your skin with the necessary moisture and make it feel supple and radiant.
7. Can I use salicylic acid serum overnight?
No, you should not leave it overnight on your skin. Instead, leave it only up to 10 minutes irrespective of what time of the day you are using it.
8. Are there any tips on using salicylic acid for beginners?
It is best to stick with one product and avoid using too many active ingredients in your skincare regimen if you are new to active ingredients and exfoliating acids like salicylic acid. Additionally, start by using minimal quantity of the serum to avoid any potential allergic reactions.
9. Does salicylic acid remove dark spots?
Salicylic Acid, in addition to being antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, helps dissolve the keratin in our skin. Thus, ultimately fading dark spots significantly.
10. Does salicylic acid brighten skin or help in skin whitening?
As Salicylic Acid removes impurities, dirt, and dead skin cells from the skin, it makes the skin look brighter, healthy, and glowing.