☀️ Salicylic Acid:
- It exfoliates the outer layer of the skin by dissolving dirt, oil & dead skin cells that clog pores.
- It can cause irritation & dryness if care is not taken to restrict the usage.
- It doesn’t make skin photosensitive & hence sunscreen is not mandatory.
- It is available as a cosmetic up to 2% in serum, cream, lotion, or balm form.
✨ Benzoyl Peroxide:
- It penetrates into the pores & kills acne-causing bacteria with oxygen.
- It is best suited to work on live acne with pus such as pimples, pustules etc
- It can be drying & irritating for most skin types, can leave a stain on fabrics.
- It makes skin photosensitive & hence sunscreen is mandatory.
- It is available as a prescription product in gel, cream, lotion or balm form.
☀️ Which one is better for acne?
Salicylic acid is best suited for non-reactive comedones such as blackheads & whiteheads and benzoyl peroxide suits acne with pus such as pimples & pustules.